It is the perfect thing you can imagine when you’re a kid playing in the playground. They are a place for us to play안전놀이터with friends, get some exercise, and expand our imaginations.

However, playgrounds are also dangerous for young ones, which is why National Playground Safety Week exists. Although we cannot prevent all accidents that happen on playgrounds, knowing how we can improve the safety of playgrounds can safeguard numerous children.

Playground Accident Facts

Every year, emergency rooms can treat more than 200 000 children younger than 14 with playground-related injuries.

Most injuries treated at the ER (56 percent) are contusions, fractures, and Abrasions. There are a few exceptions. Around 20,000 children admitted to the ER were afflicted with brain injuries, such as concussions.

Traumatic brain injuries are a real concern, particularly when the prevalence of play-related TBIs has risen over the last few years.

Risk Factors

Playground accidents can affect all children, regardless of age or gender. But, according to statistics, certain children are more at risk of injuries while playing on the playground.

  • Fifty-five percent of ER injured injuries were treated were men, 55% of ER-treated injuries were boys, and the remaining 45% were girls.
  • The most likely age group to suffer an injury that needs immediate attention is the children who are between 5 and 9

Playground Safety Tips

Playgrounds aren’t safe just by themselves. They require the collaboration of all parties involved in their upkeep and use to ensure that fewer children are injured playing.

You can protect your child’s safety by:

  • They monitor children while they play. It is not a good idea to leave little children playing without supervision in a play area. Even older children require supervision, particularly when they use climbing equipment.
  • Learn to Use Playground Equipment Properly: Be sure to read all the safety and instructions warnings posted on the playground before playing with any equipment. Not all playgrounds suit your child’s age, size, or weight.
  • Be sure to inspect the equipment before letting your Children Play. Many playgrounds do not get the care they need to be maintained, which can result in faulty, broken, rusty, or damaged equipment that could cause serious injuries.
  • Make sure your kids are wearing proper clothing: before you let your children play on the slide or run around the park’s grounds, check for drawstrings that might get caught in the slides and shoes that are not tied. Also, get rid of any purses with necks or backpacks.
  • Take note of the weather. In the summer heat, ensure that you check the temperature of the monkey bars, slides, and other equipment for playgrounds to keep them from burning. Don’t let your kids play if the playground is too muddy or wet because they could easily fall and injure themselves.
  • Maintaining a Safe Distance Children should be taught not to stand in the back or front of swings or to sit in the front of slides to avoid being thrown down.
  • Hygiene: To prevent the spread of COVID-19, ensure that children wash their hands before and after touching pieces of equipment. It’s also crucial to maintain an appropriate distance from other children.

When Does a Playground Injury Need Emergency Attention?

Some playground injuries are not worthy of the need to visit the ER. But, you must immediately visit the closest Altus Emergency Center if your child displays any of these symptoms:

  • They smashed their heads and lost consciousness.
  • After a fall, if they experience nausea, vomiting, or experience headaches.
  • If their behavior is odd, such as having a heightened sense of irritability or lack of energy
  • If you observe swelling or deformity on the injury site
  • If you think they’ve broken the bone, you should be concerned.
  • They are deep cuts that could require stitches.
  • If a metallic object caused the injury

Each Altus Emergency Center has specialized examination rooms for children designed to soothe and comfort kids and parents. The examination rooms also feature the appropriate 안전놀이터 equipment to ensure your child’s convenience.

If time is a factor, check out to use our Quick & Easy Online Check-In System. It’s a great way to have a reliable solution, as we know there’s no time to delay in an emergency! Fill in the form, and we’ll send you a call in 15 minutes, and you’ll be able to come in. We’ll greet you at the entrance.

Written by Avellaneda Flórez
¡Hola¡ Soy Avellaneda Flórez, licenciada en literatura de la Universidad del Valle. Soy, una mujer que se dedicó a la literatura como oficio, pues soy docente de lengua castellana. Busco trabajar con la literatura no solo en las aulas de clase sino en espacios poco convencionales como parques, ancianatos, plazas de mercado, la ruta de un bus.